Re: New handling of scripts external to PPPD (ie ip-up, ip-down)

Adam Heath <adam.heath@usa.net> writes:

> I have never liked the idea of having to edit either ip-up, or ip-down each
> time I want to add a script into the ppp chain.

Agreed.

> This is also hard for separate packages to do automatically, without errors.

Not that this is necessarily a bad thing. I'm not convinced arbitary packages
/should/ be playing with my PPP setup.

[...]
> If a package wants to be run when pppd is on, then include a file
> "/etc/ppp/scripts.d/<packagename>."  In the postinst, run the command
> ppp-update.d.

Um. Let me tell you about my setup (you can go to sleep for the next couple of
paragraphs if you want! ;).

I too hacked ip-up and ip-down to run-parts some directories in /etc. (In my
case, I also put in my script to do similar things for users (me!)). But I
want to be able to bring the link up and down quickly, and not be forced to
collect lots of new mail if I'm just popping out to work. So I put in some
more directories, batch and endbatch, containing all the longer tasks; they
all fork themselves into the background and PPP waits for them all to finish.

Fair enough, there's nothing in the new method to preclude this. I'm just
wondering whether:

(wake up again now)

(a) I can stop packages installing themselves without having to delete them
    whenever I install a new ppp-aware package (I'm assuming that I can turn
    them off permanently somehow once they're installed, like for
    update-rc.d).

(b) There is any chance of you including link-start and link-end jobs, which
    can again (presumably) be selected at runtime, and make the PPP link wait
    for them in some way. (eg, I like to run fetchmail again just before I
    drop the link; it only gets a couple of mails, but it does mean I get
    them).

(c) This is safe as regards people running upgrades while the link is up.

I hope this doesn't sound too critical, it's not meant to be; I think it's a
great idea, as long as the user has sufficient control over it.

Thanks,

Andy

--
Andy Mortimer, andy.mortimer@poboxes.com