Re: Problems with newsx_0.11-1

On Wed, Mar 18, 1998 at 04:18:40AM +0100, Remco Blaakmeer wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Mar 1998, Adrian Bridgett wrote:
>
> [my complaint about newsx]
>
> > My fault, I've changed the newsx build process as the old one was very badly
> > broken (newsx auto-configured itself to your setup which was unacceptable).
> >
> > Another bug is that newsq is 0644 rather than 0755 - fixed in 0.11-2.
> >
> > What is your email - inn or cnews? I used to use inn, but swapped to cnews
                 ^^^^^ - Duh :-)
> > (I'm regretting that now, but that's a different matter).  If you could
> > email me the top part of the Makefile generated (the first 100 lines would
> > be great), I'd be very grateful - it would help me check things were okay.
>
> I use inn. The Makefile will come in a separate (private) message.

Thanks, it was very helpful. newsx_0.11-4 should now have the same paths.

> > I thought inn used /var/lib/news/newsfeeds, but it probably moved to
> > /etc/news/newsfeeds to comply with policy. Unfortunately cnews uses
> > /etc/news/sys and so this must be specified on the command line - as
> > indicated in the readme. I might fix this sometime, but there are some other
> > differences between inn and cnews anyway.
> >
> > I'll upload -3 with NEWSFEEDS set to /etc/news/newsfeeds and LOCKFILE set to
> > "none" (although I'd rather know what effects this will have).
>
> You could also place LOCKFILE in the NEWSCTL directory as in newsx_0.1-1.
> AFAIK the NEWSCTL directory is always writeable for user news only, so it
> should be safe.

According to your makefile it uses:
  LOCKS="/var/run/innd"
newsx uses different paths for Cnews, and they should be okay according to
the cnews documentation.

> BTW, I just noticed another error in my Makefile. I don't know how it
> happened, but the 'prefix' variable is set to '/usr/local'. Could you look
> into this? I haven't tried a 'make install', I just copied the newsx
> binary into /usr/local/bin/ and it worked.

I use this in debian/rules:
        ./configure --prefix=debian/tmp/usr

The make process in newsx is a bit messed up - hopefully debian/rules does
enough stuff to avoid any problems. For instance README can be deleted in
the clean process and then it is required later on.

Adrian

email: adrian.bridgett@poboxes.com       | Debian Linux - www.debian.org
http://www.poboxes.com/adrian.bridgett   | Because bloated, unstable
PGP key available on public key servers  | operating systems are from MS