Re: Base-passwd issues

Galen Hazelwood <galenh@apexxtech.com> writes:

> > 4. If you are going to renumber items the there should be an
> >    associated utility to find all the effected files, present them to
> >    the admin for immediate or later action. Any processes running with
> >    those uid or gids should also be presented to the admin.
>
> I wrote in the todo list that this problem is "harder than you think"; I
> stand by that assessment.

Any one solving this, I would _WERY_ much like the script/program that
does this... Me and a friend have been woking on this a _VERY_ long time
now, without solving the problem...

I have found that this problem is more or less impossible...

>   -- Rewrite update-passwd in perl.  I never wanted to do it in C to
> begin with, but when I wrote it (early last fall) I knew little perl,
> and didn't think I could emulate lckpwdf(3) using only perl-base.  I
> know a great deal more perl now, and think it might be possible.  Many
> of these hard problems mentioned above become much easier in perl.

I would very much like your solution on this, since I have about the
same problem...

>   -- Handle problems with NIS users and shadow password files.  I don't
> use either, so I never found these problems.

Renaming/Renumbering in the NIS database or adding/removing users from the
NISdb? Check out 'xAdmin' (by me), I have done that (plugg, plugg :)...

>   -- Update-passwd will now perform the sanity check by default, and
> prompt for all changes by default.  Warnings will be more verbose.
> Files whose owner's UID has changed will be appropriately chowned.

I for one would like a 'Would you like verbose mode or quit' thingie...
(I'm very adventurus... :)

 Turbo  ___________     Debian GNU/Linux   Unix _IS_ user friendly - it's just
 ^^^^^  ___  /___(_)__________  _____  __  selective about who its friends are
  _ /// _  /___  / _  / / / /_/ /__>  <   Turbo Fredriksson Tel: +46-704-697645
  \\\/  /_____/_/  /_/ /_/\__,_/ /_/|_|   S-415 10 Göteborg    turbo@tripnet.se
                  PGP#788CD1A9            SWEDEN         www5.tripnet.se/~turbo
----------- PGP:  B7 92 93 0E 06 94 D6 22  98 1F 0B 5B FE 33 A1 0B ------------
--
kibo terrorist SEAL Team 6 bomb ammunition [Hello to all my fans in
domestic surveillance] plutonium Delta Force Honduras Croatian NORAD