Re: Two step mirroring?

> Are there any programs which support two step mirroring?
>
> Suppose a user has a desktop at home on which she wishes to maintain
> an up to date mirror (say, of Debian unstable) but her dial up
> connection is slow.  She has a high speed connection at work, and a
> laptop she takes between home and work, and while the laptop does not
> have enough room for the entire mirror, it does have a couple of
> hundred meg free.

This is exactly how I got my hamm distribution set up at home. Yes I think
such a setup would be useful, though I have not started doing anything towards
automating it.

Automating something like that would be very useful.

I have not looked at the deity project yet, but I wonder if something like
that would fall out of it as a kind of side effect.

I would hope a future 'dselect' replacement would permit an arbitrary set of
sources in some order chosen by the user, for example
Local CDrom, local hard disk, another local hard disk area copied from laptop,
ftp server for non-us stuff etc.

Then all you would need is an easy way to turn a subset of the full
distribution into a 'mini distribution' which would fit on the laptop.
(When I say 'all' - I appreciate that this is a fair sized project in its
own right)

		John Lines