Re: Died and went to 7734

On Mon, 23 Mar 1998, Dale Scheetz wrote:

> I reported spurious interrupt problems a few weeks ago. Well, it got much
> worse. By Monday of last week (16 March) the machine could no longer get
> to the drive. It took me til Saturday to get a new mother board, only to
> discover that my two main drives were FUBAR. I have a new drive coming
> tomorrow, but I have lost everything on those drives, which is everything
> Debian. I have plenty of backups on CD but my toaster has chosen to die as
> well, so I will be recovering off of the net for a while, once I can get
> ppp up and running. I seem to be having a problem with the modem as well
> (when it rains it pours), so I am currently working from my second machine
> through a simple dialup to my ISP.

You have my sympathy.

> It appears that I have lost all of my mail (that wasn't backed up) so
> please, if you have an outstanding conversation with me, try to pick back
> up where we left off.

I submitted more information to a bug in ae. Because of its status and its
brokenness, I also bumped up the severity to important, so that others
will notice the problems with keys.

I did find a sort of workaround for the F3 and F4 function keys not
working (just use other keys :-) and I included a patch for /etc/ae.rc so
you can upload a new version and downgrade the severity (there are still
other problem reports about ae's keyhandling) as soon as you have time for
it. Unfortunately I can't because I'm not a maintainer.

What struck me at a glance is that ae uses termcap stuff in ae.rc instead
of terminfo and the the makefile mentions curses, while I tought ae is
supposed to use slang (at least slang's changelog suggests that.)

> Even with Murphy on my shoulder, I should be back up to full speed by the
> weekend, and have every intention of getting glibc 2.0.7pre2 out this
> weekend, if possible.

That's great Dale, KUTGW as you say.

Best of luck.

Cheers,