can't cut and paste with gpm

I have been building a system from hamm.

When I first installed gpm the cut and paste didn't work. I could select
text ok, but trying to place it with the right button only caused strange
selection behavior.

I remembered a strange line in the config from when I installed gpm, so I
reinstalled it to get another chance to configure it, and wasn't offerend
the opportunity to do so.

So, I ran gpmconfig manually and recieved the same "strange" line:

Do you want to add any additional arguments
[-l "a-zA-Z0-9_.:~/\300-\326\330-\366\370-\377"]?

What is this all about, and what would be a "reasonable" response to this,
asside from <CR>?

On the really strange side of things...after all this mucking around,
without really changing anything (aside from a reinstall), cut and paste
work just fine!

Has anyone else experienced this kind of problem?

Thanks,

Dwarf
--
Still sigless