Re: I plan to remove fdisk from the next util-linux

On Mon, March 30 1998, Guy Maor <maor@ece.utexas.edu> wrote:
|fdisk is a buggy unmaintained program.  It doesn't make sense for us
|to include a program with bugs that make it dangerous.  cfdisk and
|sfdisk are both much more reliable.

I'm aware that things are fluid and may change rapidly, but my
personal experience indicated that every time I ran cfdisk (mainly
during installation of Debian) cfdisk screwed things up and I had to
run fdisk to fix them.  Is there a consensus about the
relative usability of the various fdisk versions?

|Ideally somebody should write a curses front end to sfdisk, and we can
|get rid of cfdisk as well.  It is the best of the three but isn't
|really meant for direct use to repartition.

Or make it even modular enough to support both slang and a gtk-based
gui?

Cheers,

--Amos

--Amos Shapira                    | "Of course Australia was marked for
133 Shlomo Ben-Yosef st.          |  glory, for its people had been chosen
Jerusalem 93 805                  |  by the finest judges in England."
ISRAEL        amos@gezernet.co.il |                     -- Anonymous