Re: Crypto export

behanw@verisim.com (Behan Webster)  wrote on 30.03.98 in <[🔎] 351FCA86.5813148@verisim.com>:

> However, books are covered by a different set of laws in the US (same
> kind of idea as freedom of the press).  In other words, if you publish
> the source in a book, and mail the book, then it's all legal.  I believe
> this is how a legal copy of PGP5.0 was exported to Finland, and the free
> international version of PGP5.0

Yes, and we have to thank Dan Bernstein (qmail author) for this. He fought
a court case to be able to export a cryptography book he wrote.

The way I understand it, you can export everything as long as it's printed
(1st Amendment), and you cannot export anything if it's in some electronic
form.

Silly, but that whole business was silly right from the beginning. (I
think there once was a case of people legally bringing crypto stuff
through customs to some trade show or something like that in the US, and
then not being allowed to take it back home, if you can imagine that.)

MfG Kai