Re: Need bash-programmer for file-rc

On Tue, Mar 31, 1998 at 10:04:29AM +1000, Craig Sanders wrote:
> On Tue, 31 Mar 1998, Martin Schulze wrote:
>
> > I'm the maintainer of the file-rc package.  File-rc is a replacement
> > for the old /etc/rc?.d system.  It manages the startup scripts in one
> > single file /etc/runlevel.conf.
> >
> > This package contains a replacement for update-rc.d.  In order to
> > increase speed it is written in bash and not in perl.  Unfortunately
> > the original update-rc.d was improved and so they're not completely
> > compatible.
> >
> > I'm mostly talking about constructs like
> >
> >    update-rc.d netbase start 20 0 1 2 . start 10 S . stop 90 4 5 6 .
>
> i think you're mistaken that bash will be faster than perl for this.
>
> the overhead of executing sed (and/or awk and/or perl) numerous times to

No sed
No awk
No cut
No what else?

ONLY bash.  If you know bash you know how to write scripts that make
only use of bash's features.

I'm sorry but I have to object, it is n times faster that a similar
script in e.g. perl.

Regards,

	Joey

 /           Experience is a useful thing.  Unfortunately it is  /
/             only acquired just after one could have used it.  /