Re: High Memory - a thought...

On Tue 31 Mar 1998, Jules Bean wrote:

> Having just had to add an append="mem=" line for my system, I have been
> thinking about it.
>
> I understand that the bios call will only return a maximum of 64M (I am a
> little suprised no one has thought of a way of extending the BIOS...)

There are some extensions / other ways of doing it, but I recall from
discussions on the linux-kernel mailing list that these haven't been
implemented in the kernel because of problems with older systems that do
_not_ have those extensions (they might cause lockups etc.). Search the
linux-kernel mailing list archives for specifics.

> However, couldn't a little piece of kernel code, trapping its own
> exceptions, probe memory?  Just keep accessing upwards until an exception
> occurs?  And then the kernel could auto-probe any amount of memory..

I don't think that the pc-at architecture gives you an exception when
you access memory which isn't there...

Paul Slootman
--
home: paul@wurtel.demon.nl | work: paul@murphy.nl