NIS, glibc and group set

Hi,

I have installed NIS on an up to date (hamm) Debian GNU/Linux system.
There are a about 8000 users in the NIS domain, each user has her/his
private group. It seems that it works fine but logging into the system
is *extremly* slow.

I could trace down the problem to the initgroups.c routine which is
part of glibc. This routine builds the set of all groups of the
current user. It sequentially steps through the list of groups,
i.e., through the group.byname NIS map, and tests whether the
current user is a member of this group. Each step results in a
yp_next() call which is responsible for the dramatic slow down.
When I remove the "+:::" entry in /etc/group, the login is very
fast (the group entry in /etc/nsswitch is "compat") but, of course,
only the numerical gid of the user's primary group is available.

Is this a known problem of the glibc nss implementation? Is there
a workaround?

Cheers, Thomas