Re: Dumping core: root vs. normal user

On Thu, Apr 16, 1998 at 02:54:45AM -0700, Darren/Torin/Who Ever... wrote:
> Eloy A. Paris, in an immanent manifestation of deity, wrote:
> >an easy one: why when root runs a program that faults core is not
> >dumped but when a normal user runs the same program a core is dumped?
>
> My educated guess on this is that there could be sensitive data in the
> root core dump.  I remember this was true on some unix I've worked on in
> the past, but I can't remember which one.

I think it might be on setuid programs that the core isn't dumped. In that
case, just un-setuid the program and run it as root (it'll probably work
then, just to nark you off!)

Adrian

email: adrian.bridgett@poboxes.com       | Debian Linux - www.debian.org
http://www.poboxes.com/adrian.bridgett   | 2.0 release soon - over 1800
PGP key available on public key servers  | packages on a stable OS