Re: Coming to closure on ae...

On Sat, 2 May 1998, Raul Miller wrote:

> Dale Scheetz <dwarf@polaris.net> wrote:
> > The reason I feel compelled to ask is that I will be creating two new
> > names: xvi and xae.
>
> xvi, intuitively, seems to refer to an x aware version of vi (elvis or
> vim).  How about xaevi?

A bit bulky ;-)

There is already a /bin/vi script that executes ae as vi, as a "least
surprise" issue. When running "vi" in an xterm, the help screen would
indicate the program to use instead, so I don't see any problems with
"expectation". I'm also leaning toward aex and vix, as they will appear in
the directory together with their nonx partners.

On another part of the problem. I just tried to use a symlink to execute
ae with the correct .rc file. I cd'd to the /bin directory (where ae
resides) and typed:

	ln -s '/bin/ae -f /etc/aex.rc' xae

and, while it seemed to build the link I desired (it looks good with ls
-l) when I try to execute xae, bash tells me the file is not found.

Any idea what I am doing wrong?

Thanks,

Dwarf