Re: Coming to closure on ae...

On Sat, 2 May 1998, Oliver Elphick wrote:

> Dale Scheetz wrote:...
>   >There doesn't seem to be a "reliable" method for determining whether or
>   >not you are in an xterm. Any method so far suggested has "natural"
>   >configuration situations that break the method.
>
> When you start an xterm, TERM is set to xterm; why not test for that?
> The trouble with using different executables is that they will only
> get run when the user chooses.  I have found ae popping up unexpectedly
> after I have removed elvis.  Because I didn't choose to load it, it came
> up in its default state.

When you remove the last vi alternative, ae is run by a script in /bin
with the ae2vi.rc file. The current release is broken in this reguard, but
the next one will be fixed to continue to emulate vi.

> If someone manages to get an xterm where TERM is set to something different,
> it won't work, but it seems a bit unreasonable for anyone to do such
> a thing.

Although the xterm does set itself up with TERM=xterm, there are any
number of reasons for the TERM variable to be changed (vt100 comes to
mind for various telnet targets), which makes this an unreliable way to
deal with this.

What would be wrong with having the "non-x" ae tell you in the help screen
what you need to run to get xterm support? The need for this xterm support
comes from folks who want to administer a base system remotely from a
system using an xterm. This is a fairly restricted set of folks who should
be "clued" enough to deal with the help message.

Ya think?

Dwarf