Re: fetchmail/procmail was: Yet another Linux distribution! :-)

'From Bill Leach <bleach@bellsouth.net>'

On Mon, May 04, 1998 at 04:19:31AM +0000, Rev. Joseph Carter wrote:
> On Sun, May 03, 1998 at 11:40:45PM -0400, wrl@gandalf.wconsult.com wrote:
> > We are probably wasting everyone's time now by not looking to see just what
> > fetchmail/procmail interface actually is...
> >
> > As I understand it, the fetchmail/procmail interface is a kludge.
>
> No, actually it's a pipe..  =>  <ducks>

Well yes, but a pipe IS a kludge to fetchmail
<throwing the five kilo sendmail manual at you> Damn, missed   :-)

> > Fetchmail
> > is intended and designed to work with smtp for delivery.  Procmail OTOH
> > doesn't know anything about smtp.  What sort of error code is procmail
> > going to give to fetchmail and how is fetchmail to receive this code?
>
> If procmail gives errors the message is not deleted from the POP server.
> I've tested this (without meaning to) myself..

That is interesting.  Then maybe the assertion that lost mail with a
fetchmail/procmail combination is not true (ie:  the reported loss was
NOT do to the fetchmail/procmail interface)

--
best,
-bill