Re: Apt is cool (yay!) - What about bo?

On Mon, 4 May 1998, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:

> On Mon, 4 May 1998, Jules Bean wrote:
>
> > Hi!
> >
> > Just installed apt_0.0.8.  My impression is that it is significantly faster
> > than dpkg-ftp.  Could be pyschological, though ;)
>
> No, it probably is. It advoids alot of the time consuming steps, read the
> status file faster, and with HTTP downloads faster too. I don't think we
> loose any of the safty of that dpkg-ftp had either.

Wow! it certainly is faster here behind a firewall. Especially the update
part in dselect is much quicker with http than through the ftp-proxy.

I love the staus display too. It is a bit "jumpy" though, maybe you want
to printf the numbers etc. in a fixed-size field. Oh, and an expected TOA
per package would be a nice finishing touch (I'm getting carried away I
guess ;-).

One thing though: when I installed apt 0.8, it replaced deity (I
had even forgotten that I still had that.) When I ran dselect and
exited the select screen, it complained about apt and deity conflicting. I
think deity should have been gone by then? (It showed up -*- in the
conflict screen.) Maybe it is related to this:
  /var/lib/dpkg/info/deity.postrm: [: --: binary operator expected

Cheers,

Joost