pgcs, etc

First... have you seen the new issue of LSJ.  They did a review of Redhat
5.0 and compared RPM to dpkg.  They liked dpkg better.  Funny though,
several months ago I bought several shovel-ware cd's with Redhat5.0, debian
1.3.1 and slackware and installed each of them in turn.  Slackware SEEMED
easy to install at the time, but required a lot of 'patching' after the
fact because of broken dependancies between things.  Redhat came up as a
nice well rounded package (if you installed X, cause all their utilites
need it).  Debian was a headache to install the first time so I left Redhat
on, for a while.  I now have debian 1.3.1 installed and yes, now that I've
used it a little, dselect IS better than RPM as far as cross dependancies
go.

Second... Look at the PGCC web site.  They have built on top of egcc.  I
don't know if they are a better compiler size wise, but they should do a
better job of producing optimized code.  The optimized code is probably
larger do to removing a lot of branches and inlining stuff.  Keeps the
queues full.  It's not just timing, its also order of execution and feeding
those multiple execution units in the P5 and P6 processors.  Don't think
they do MMX yet.  There are very few new instructions (other than MMX) in
the Pentium cpus vs the 386 and 486, and those are mostly the kind that
would be used in protected mode in the kernel.  Probably the best place
anyway for a speedup, you shouldn't have to recompile the entire
distribuition, but the kernel, drivers, and bash would be a good start.