Re: Constutituion, tech. ctte, timing

On Wed, 20 May 1998, M.C. Vernon wrote:

> > One of the (minor) reasons that Christian gave for leaving is that he
> > felt the tech. ctte chairman was an insufficiently attractive role,
> > particularly with it having only a casting vote.
> >
> > I've been putting off posting the latest formal amendment with a few
> > minor typo corrections, because I can't decide whether to change it so
> > that the chairman has a casting vote in addition to their normal vote.
> >
> > Opinions ?
>
> As I see it, the Chairman should only have a casting vote. This has seemed
> to me to be the standard format, and certainly strikes me as fair.

I have no strong feelings one way or the other.

Only giving the Chair a casting vote seems to disinfranchise the Chair. On
the other hand, the Chair already has powers to control the discusion, so
it is pretty clear that there will be no confusion over the position
taken. Breaking ties seems appropriate power for the Chair, so either way
I don't see a problem.

There is only one situation where the Chair would have more power than
desired with a vote plus a cast. If the vote would fail without the
Chair's vote by only one vote, then that vote could create a tie, which
would only be broken by the Chair's casting vote.

I guess it depends on whether the Chair is to be a "working" position, or
only the "manager" of the rest of the committee.

As I said, I have no strong feelings one way or the other.

Waiting is,

Dwarf
P.S. What I need to see, before I can vote on the Debian Constitution, is
a complete copy of the Charter/Bylaws for SPI. I understand that Ian now
has a copy of this document. Can you post this for the rest of us Ian?
BTW, how does a member of SPI contact the management? Do they have an
e-mail address, a phone number, or a snail mail address?