Re: Proposal and call for participation, Linux Standard Base Project

On Thu, May 21, 1998 at 02:27:08PM +0200, Andreas Jellinghaus wrote:
> In article <[🔎] 13667.30732.36030.969318@miles.econ.queensu.ca> you write:
> >  Shaya>  The only problem is, debian is way too big.  In order to make a
> >  Shaya> real base, it has to be developed from the start to only be a base.
> >  Shaya> i.e. include all the important utilities, and provide a policy for
> >  Shaya> others to follow, but not be a full fledged dist.
>
> shaya is right.
> we all know the unix motto "keep it small and simple".

The Unix motto is keep it small and simple, so that you can combine
a number of parts to do a bigger job. I don't see how Debian violates
this principle -- our system as a whole consists of small parts (packages)
which are used together to perform the task required.

I don't think Debian is absolutely too big. It may or may not be too
big to develop this base system; I don't really know what's involved.

Hamish