Re: pgcc and debian. (+linuxconf)

At 10:25 AM 5/21/98 +0100, Philip Hands wrote:
>> I am also considreing packaging linuxconf, if it's not packaged it yet, as I
>> have been talking with the author (and he says he got e-mail from s/o who
>> wanted to package it, but hasn't heard anything since)
>
>That was probably me, but I'm happy to let you maintain it if you want to.

Ok, when I get back, I'll take it up.

I've been talking with the author about how to make Linuxconf more
compatable with debian, and it looks like we're getting somewhere.  Also,
the db mechanism of Linuxconf, might be usefull for debian as well, I know
we have our own db, dtxtdb, but in reality, if I can convince him to pare
down linuxconf-core, to just a core and get all the configuration code,
modularized, so we would have linuxconf-[module] (linuxconf-sendmail,
linuxconf-dns....), we might be able to use linuxconf as the db, because it
will be extensable past just being a db, but also an admin program.

That doesn't mean people here will like it, because it's still an
"activator", though, with the work he's been doing with Red Hat, it's much
more compatable with SysV scripts (actually on Red Hat, I think it only uses
the SysV scripts, and the SysV scripts will work with out Linuxconf, their
just a little beefed up to provide extra info to linuxconf).

As you can see, I'd like us to consider Linuxconf again, I'll try to get an
experimental package, and some examples of how we can fully integrate it
into debian, w/o losing anything, a week or two, after I get back to the
states. (June 10)

Shaya