Re: Removal of Packages from Hamm (!)

On Fri, May 22, 1998 at 06:59:08PM +0100, Jules Bean wrote:
> --On Fri, May 22, 1998 10:42 am -0700 "David Welton" <davidw@gate.cks.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > Ok, let's look at the full license.
> >
> > --------
> > Copyright:
> >
> > IRC II is copyright (c) 1990 by Michael Sandrof.  You have the
> > right to copy, compile, and maintain this software.  You also
> > have the right to make modifcations to this code for local use
> > only.
> >
> > Version 2.1.1 to 2.2pre7 are Copyright 1991, 1992 Troy Rollo.
> >
> > Versions 2.2pre8 and above are copyright (c) 1992-1996
> > matthew green.  Any modifications to this code may be
> > redistributed with this copyright attached.
> > --------
> >
> > My understanding is that we are only distributing "versions 2.2pre8
> > and above" and that goes for all the derivatives as well.  So, doesn't
> > this supercede the first part?  This is de facto free software.  It
> > has been such for the past 3 or 4 years...  Doesn't this establish
> > some kind of precedent?

> I'm afraid not.  The original author, Michael Sandrof, has asserted
> copyright.  Unless it is the case that >= 2.1.1 consistutes a complete
> rewrite, (and the inclusion of the earlier copyright to me suggests it
> doesn't) then his rights stand.  If we want to play this one by the book, we
> need a declaration from Michael Sandrof that he has ceded copyright, or that
> he is happy for free (including commercial) distribution.

But it says that the recent versions (after *1992* !) are copyright
Matthew Green.  If we start not taking these things in good faith,
then.. hrmm mightn't it be possible to paint ourselves into a rather
tricky corner?  Who's to say that anything is really registered to
anyone?  How many of the programs we distribute are really registered
in some sort of more legal/formal fashion?

> But no, I'm not a lawyer.

But I play one on debian-devel! ;-)))

So, if this is truly non-free software, then I suppose we ought to
alert the various ftp sites to stop distribution of ircII, epic,
bitchx, etc, because they risk prosecution?  I dont much care for the
idea of limiting ourselves while everyone else goes about their
business of treating ircII as the de facto open source product that it
is.

Ciao,

	Debian GNU/Linux - www.debian.org