Re: Update: GC package transferred to Rob Browning

On 23-May-1998, Rob Browning <rlb@cs.utexas.edu> wrote:
> "Mike Goldman" <whig@by.net> writes:
>
> > Rob Browning <rlb@cs.utexas.edu> asked to take over Boehm's Garbage
> > Collector (gc), as he is in need of it for another package.  As I am
> > still new to packaging, and a library is a difficult first project,
> > I agreed to this, and will plan to act as an 'understudy' for this
> > package.  It is still my intent to package oo2c, and I am awaiting
> > the forthcoming upstream release before doing so, per the upstream
> > maintainer's recommendation.
>
> FYI I've got it packaged, but only as a static lib.  That's enough for
> me to get Stalin going, but I'll get the shared libs working (the
> upstream code doesn't have support for it) a little later.  First I've
> got to digest some info I got from the upstream authors, and then I'll
> have to work on the Makefile.

Hi,

I know of a version of Boehm GC (4.12) that has support for shared libs
under Linux.  The Mercury system (which is a Debian package I maintain)
uses it, however it is a little bit of work to disentangle it from
the rest of the package.

Try downloading the mercury-0.7.3 source code (in hamm), which includes
a modified Boehm GC.  The only difficult bits are where the Boehm GC
Makefile does a "include ../Mmake.common" to use some variables Mercury
defines.  Also, there are a few changes for other platforms in there,
but they shouldn't be too hard to ignore.

I can provide diffs from our CVS archive if you want (or against
4.13alpha1 if you want).

(Fergus Henderson (fjh@cs.mu.oz.au) is working on adding support for
LinuxThreads to Boehm GC as well).

--
       Tyson Dowd           # So I asked Sarah: what's the serial number on
                            # your computer? She replied: