Re: Official Debian 2.0 CD master images

On Tue 26 May 1998, John Goerzen wrote:
> Andreas Jellinghaus <aj@dungeon.inka.de> writes:
>
> > Is anyone creaeting images at all ? There are lots of open questions.
>
> Yes, I have used your Makefile-based thingy and it worked well with a
> few small modifications.  You idea of using hard links was very clever
> and fast, IMHO.
>
> > Becuase i didn't like the debian-cd shell scripts, i rewrote them and
> > improved them to a Makefile.
> >
> > There are still several open questions :
> >  - who is going to create the official images ?
>
> Hmm, perhaps the person that wrote the script to make them? :-)

i can do it. but i can't burn them and send them to all linux resellers
(something we need to do). i can provide them on my machine here in germany.
that machine is has a 10 mbit connectiont to the net, but during office hours
99 other machine use the same line... during night it should be accesseble,
i could also upload to <wherever you want>.

best : if there is a enought space on master, or some other machine i would
prefer to create them via remote access. i only have 4 gb free space here -
enought for a debian i386/all mirror and 3 cd images.

> >  - what should be on the official images (only main ? also contrib ?
> >  	project/ ? indices/ ? ...)
>
> main, contrib (sources, binary, and disks), tools at least.  Binary
> should include binary-i386 and binary-all.

one image with i386/all, one with m68k/all and one with alpha/all ?
i guess it could be this way :
 - i386		main/binary-{i386,all} disks doc tools bootable
 - m68k		main/binary-{m68k,all} disks doc ?tools? ?bootable?
 - alpha	main/binary-{alpha,all} disks doc ?tools? ?bootable?
 - source	main/source (exclude : main/source/x11) ?tecra bootdisk?
 - misc		main/source/x11 contrib/{source,binary-{all,i386,alpha,m68k}
 		project/ indices/
 - non-US	mirror of debian-non-US/hamm (europe only)

i want to encourage vendros to bundle this with
 - non-free-$(ARCH)	selected packages from non-free, and additional
   commercial stuff (netscape, staroffice, applixware, whatever they can get)

> >  - how to split the stuff to cdroms ?
>
> Your scripts are a good way of doing it.  However, dselect ought to
> understand this.  Otherwise, we will have lots of confused users.

i'm not a perl hacker. i know how it must work, and can explain it and write
it down, help, test, ... but i'm not a perl hacker.

shouldn't be hard to do, but it's work.

i don't know apt very well. don't know if it should be a dselect method or an
apt method.

> >  - neither dselect nor apt can handle installing from two cdroms with one
> > 	cd drive.
>
> BIG PROBLEM!

s.o. some perl hacker with additional free time ? i have much work currently
(e.g. help my father moving next weekend, will be @linux-kongress.de next
week)...

> >  - debian ftp mirror and official cd image distribution :
> >  	only ftp ? anonymous rsync site would be great !
>
> ooo....anonymous rsync...  I like it!

every two weeks i detect a broken .deb on our local ftp server.
i hate this.

> >  - bootdisks and apt could both need improvements too IMO.
>
> I tried a fresh 2.0 installation the other day and I thought thtat the
> boot disks were quite AWESOME.  They look snazzy, they're fast, and
> they WORK.

agreed. but some things could be improved (like : don't ask me twice (cd
drive, keytable, ...). try to auto detect some stuff (debian archive in / or
/debian ?).

andreas