Re: Debian development modem (was The broken libjpeg-6b is in RH 5.1)

On Wed, May 27, 1998 at 11:41:20AM -0400, Kenneth.Scharf@coulter.com wrote:

> >> Debian had a mostly libc6 based system long before RedHat, yet RedHat
> >> is releasing their second libc6 system while Debian still has no clue
> >> when, or even if, it will release.
>
> > Debian had a mostly libc6 based system long before RedHat, yet RedHat
> > is releasing their second libc6 system while Debian still has no clue
> > when, or even if, it will release.
>
> I've been invited to download hamm and upgrade my 1.3.1 r6 system here
> several times, and many have said that hamm is "stable" thou not
> "officially".  Meanwhile, a day does not go by that the linux ftp watch
> page doen't show at least a half dozen new files on the debian ftp site and
> it's mirrors. (so whats the story?)

Well, hamm runs stable but isn't stable.  Err, well, there are still
minor and major glitches in hamm.  Though it runs much more stable than
other software that is already called 'stable release'.

Btw. these days you should also notice updates in the stable bo release.

For about one week we're in deep freeze which means that only important
bugfixes will make it into hamm.  Everything else goes into the 'unstable'
development release.  This also means that things settle down.  There's
also the testing team that works hard to get all the stuff tested and
verified.

> If there is a detailed enough how-to doc showing how I could upgrade
> (safely) from 1.3.1 to hamm (you bet your ascii my entire linux partition
> will be backed up to my DCC drive first!) I might try it IF someone might
> burn me  CD-R's of hamm as I can't stay up all night with the 28.8 modem to
> try it.

Try http://taz.net.au/autoup/  There ia a description on how to upgrade
from bo to hamm.

> Seems that maybe it MIGHT be a good idea to let the CD shovel ware folks
> release pre-lim versions of hamm (and and future debian pre-releases)
> marked quite clearly (and LOUDLY) as BETA for slo internet folks like me.

This has already be the case in Germany, the German book store JF
Lehmanns has released a 4cd set entirely with Debian, both bo and hamm
are on it.

> Anyway I would gladly trade some blank CD-R media(2 or 3 for 1?) plus
> postage, plus something for your trouble for a beta CD-R copy of hamm.

Perhaps you should try to join the testing team then?  Contact Dale at
dwarf@polaris.net if you're interested.

Regards,

	Joey

 /                 Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only /
/          proved it correct, not tried it.  -- Donald E. Knuth /