Re: Debian development modem (was The broken libjpeg-6b is in RH 5.1)

On Wed, May 27, 1998 at 10:59:26AM -0400, Raul Miller wrote:
> David Engel  <david@ods.com> wrote:
> > Debian had a mostly libc6 based system long before RedHat, yet RedHat
> > is releasing their second libc6 system while Debian still has no clue
> > when, or even if, it will release.
>
> And RedHat 5.0 was fairly buggy and had to be patched before it was
> usable in a number of cases.

Debian had already solved, or at least knew how to solve, all of these
problems even before RH5.0 betas were released.

> We've had an unstable release for a while, and it's gone through a
> number of revisions.  I've put together production machines based
> on pre-release instances of Hamm.

I've been running several production systems base on hamm for well
over a year.

What do the above two things tell you?  They tell me that Debian is
great at getting to a near-release quality state and then tends to
stay there.

> Maybe you're suggesting that we should do official cdrom releases
> of unstable versions?

No, what I'm suggesting is that in its current form, Debian is
incapable of making a timely release, and until that changes, Debian
will continue to flounder like it always has.

David
--
David Engel                        ODS Networks
david@sw.ods.com                   1001 E. Arapaho Road