Re: so what? Re: Debian development modem

On Thu, 28 May 1998, Bill Mitchell wrote:

> I am located in the Philippines.  I get download speeds in the hundreds
> of bytes per second when my ISP is up, and my ISP has frequent outages.
> I can download the occasional package, but downloading more than a few
> megabytes is painful (at 300 bytes per second, I get roughly a megabyte
> per hour).  Those of us without high speed internet access _need_ CDs.
> As a practical matter, the latest debian system release available to me
> is whatever I can get on mail-order CD.

I just finished testing the new master I made of the 1.3.1R8 bo archive.

I included a directory called pre-2.0-upgrade which contains all of the
packages neede to transition from 1.3 to 2.0, and a script that installs
them. This upgrades to libc6 and bash, providing the perl that the new
dpkg will need and then installing it as well. This leaves the system with
libc5 development installed but provides libc6 and tools needed for the
upgrade with dselect or apt (once you install apt, that is).

Sorry for the shameless plug,

Dwarf