Re: smbmount and mount [and spaces in devices]

Package: mount
Version: 2.7l-4

	This is a bug. I'm opening a bug report. Credit goes to Jens.
	[I did bump into this earlier, but I had forgotten it already..;)]

On Thu, May 28, 1998 at 06:50:29PM +0200, Jens Ritter wrote:
> I see this strange behaviour of samba:
> I mount a share from a Windows box (with a space in it):
> smbmount //tornado\!/"xyz iii" xyz -I foobar
> (xyz is a directory), I use the data in xyz and umount it.
>
> Now mount reports:
>  //tornado!/xyz on iii type /mnt/xyz/tornado1/xyz (smbfs)
>                 ^^^^^^^^^
>   Strange isn´t it?
[...]
> Is it a fearture or a bug? If it is the latter one, where to report?

	Actually, it isn't strange. Status of currently mounted
	filesystems is saved in /etc/mtab, and this file has one
	line per mount, fields separated with a _space_. So, if
	you have a mount point/device with a space, fields are split
	wrong.

	It has nothing to do with samba - you can easily reproduce it
	with:
	$ touch 'foo bar'
	$ /sbin/mke2fs 'foo bar' 123
	$ sudo mount -o loop 'foo bar' /mnt
	$ mount
	[...]
	/home/tv/foo on bar type /mnt (ext2)

	Maybe the fields with spaces should be quoted? What programs
	read /etc/mtab?

	/proc/mounts logs that example as /dev/loop1, so it is not vulnerable,
	atleast not with loop devices. Haven't tested others.

	This is with frozen, kernel 2.0.33.
--
tv-nospam-sig-1@hq.yok.utu.fi - it's a valid address w/o spam