dds2tar missing -- how do you turn off DAT compression?

I'm not sure if this is a bug, and if so, which package it would
belong to, but I just noticed that the dds2tar package has vanished
from the archives.  Now that would be fine if mt's datcompression
option actually worked, but it doesn't.  On two different machines mt
cannot disable drive compression:

  # mt --file /dev/nst0 datcompression off
  Can't write mode page.
  mt: /dev/nst0

wheras mt-dds from an old pacakge of dds2tar that's installed on one
of the machines works fine:

  # mt-dds -f /dev/nst0 comp-off
  #  mt-dds -f /dev/nst0 comp-query
  data compression enable 0