Re: How to reratify the DFSG ?

On Fri, May 29, 1998 at 12:09:32AM +0000, Rev. Joseph Carter wrote:
> On Thu, May 28, 1998 at 02:47:53PM +0100, Ian Jackson - Debian Project Leader wrote:
>
> It could be argued the GPL discriminates against people writing programs for
> Qt.  In fact, RMS argues that it does.  Clearly he is discriminating against
> both KDE in his current interpretation which is a turnaround from the things
> he was saying before that about netscape.
>
> The particular example was that GPL additions for non-GPL code (Mozilla)
> could be written in seperate files and later compiled/linked in.  However,
> saying that KDE cannot legally use the GPL because it links Qt is clearly
> discrimination--whether it's on the part of the license or RMS is something
> I cannot say for sure.

Please don't create confusion, there is already enough around this topic.

The KDE people are the only one that can enforce the copyright. The
copyright owner is in fact allowed to break the copyright, because there is
no one who can sue him.

I only have problems with the licence of qt-"free" enforcing the GPL on
programs that use it, and I think that KDE people could *probably* sue other
people distributing Qt linked KDE. Although I doubt that the latter would
stand the court.

Marcus