Re: boot floppies and syslinux "-s" mode

On Sun, 19 Jul 1998, Enrique Zanardi wrote:
> As CDs are a lot faster than floppies, it's OK to use "-s" for the boot
> image on the official CDs, but I'm thinking about going back to the normal
> mode for the floppy images, and adding a README file giving instructions
> for replacing syslinux on the rescue floppy to build a "-s" floppy, just
> in case the user has one of the machines that don't like the normal mode.
> (It as simple as inserting the floppy on the drive and running
> "syslinux -s /dev/fd0" as root). That information may be added to the
> install docs instead/also.

Um? How are they going to run syslinux -s if they can't yet boot their
machine?

There must be, on the FTP site somewhere, a disk image made the '-s' way,
in addition to the 'fast' one.

> As there's a minor problem in the current boot-flopies set (dselect adds
> some packages to the ones selected using "profiles", sometimes leading
> to conflicts), we probably need another boot-floppies release one way or
> the other.

I just ran boot-floppies for the first time on a sparc (net-booted).
Worked well.  Congrats :)

Jules