Re: The LSB and packages

On Tue, Jul 21, 1998 at 03:24:48PM -0400, Shaya Potter wrote:
> On Tue 21 Jul 1998, Shaleh <shaleh@livenet.net> wrote:
>
> > I had a long talk with Bruce over dinner while at Linux Expo.  He
> > emphatically stated that the LSB would NOT push one packager over
> > another.  Its goal was to standardize libs and utils.  Not deb over rpm
> > or slp (stampede's format).  Besides, there is not even a single rpm.
> > SuSE and I believe Caldera each have modified rpm to suit their needs.
> >
> > Bruce may not be fending for Debian, however he is a big proponent of
> > choice.  Let's see how this goes.
>
> That's not exactly true.  It seems that most of the people on the LSB believe
> that there should be one standard LSB format for ISVs, to install their
> software.  For the entire linux world they feel choice is good, but they say
> that ISVs don't want choice, they want a standard.

Uh, oh. And the new dpkg haven't been moved to slink yet.
The Hurd is going to use dpkg, some commercial OSes may use dpkg soon (or
at least share some functionality). We must make a lot of noise to let
the LSB people know RPM is not the only choice, not even the logical one.

--
Enrique Zanardi						   ezanardi@ull.es