Re: RH and GNOME

Shaleh <shaleh@livenet.net> writes:

> Well it is now official -- Redhat fully owns GNOME.  They just brought
> on Miguel and Federico (two of the top GNOMErs).  Last week they started
> Owen Taylor (one of the head gtk+ people).

Personally, I think that it is a good development.  Miguel, Federico
and Owen are good guys, and can write more GPL'd stuff if they are
working full time on it and getting paid.

It does mean that Gnome development is going to be slightly more
closed and faster moving - outsiders will have a more difficult time
exerting their influence on it.  This isn't all that different than
the situation with Mozilla, for example.

At times, I had been frustrated by the lack of cooperation I was
recieving from the participants in the Gnome project.  I raised my
voice a bit, and the problems were corrected.  I don't think they were
purposely trying to shut me out of anything.

The Gnome APIs have solidified to a certain extent, so for your
average developer, Debian is a still a good development platform if
you want to develop Gnome apps.

I'll admit -- if you really want to contribute to the core of the
Gnome project, be aware that it is moving quite fast.  You might be
better off quitting your job, formatting your drive, installing Red
Hat, and moving to North Carolina.  :-)

It's probably inevitable that Gnome is going to be more tuned to run
on Red Hat than anything else (ie. LinuxConf support) - but it is
still being developed in a very portable manner.

So let's not create too much unnecessary FUD...

Cheers,

 - Jim