Re: RH and GNOME

> > program.source.tar.gz.
>
> That's not a package format, is it?
>
> Can I automatically handle dependencies?

If well made, the ./configure script will tell you what you need to get,
just like dpkg.

> Can I easily uninstall or upgrade?

Yep. for i in `locate programname`; do rm $i ; done. As long as the
program isn't named something like 'lib'. That would be bad. As far as
upgrading, make install works quite well.. Like a package, a program's
source can be sloppily put together or well put together.

> I'm not saying that .tar.gz's are hard to deal with - I'm sure most of us
> use them all the time.  But they're not package formats, by any means.

No, I'm sure you're right, but that has no bearing on the point I was
making. :>

-Kysh