Re: Several reasons why debian should not use bash for /bin/sh

Chris Ulrich wrote:
>   I'm new to debian but I'm not new to either unix or linux.  I recently
> installed debian on my laptop.  On my prior linux setup, I had pdksh as
> /bin/sh.  While I sometimes had problems with scripts, I never ran into
> showstoppers.  When I made ash or pdksh /bin/sh on my debian setup, things
> stopped working.  I consider this to be a serious problem with debian.

Please file bug reports. According to policy:

     The standard shell interpreter `/bin/sh'' may be a symbolic link to
     any POSIX compatible shell. Thus, shell scripts specifying `/bin/sh''
     as interpreter may only use POSIX features. If a script requires
     non-POSIX features from the shell interpreter, the appropriate shell
     has to be specified in the first line of the script (e.g.,
     `#!/bin/bash'')

We just haven't nailed down all the offending scripts yet.

--
see shy jo