Re: Cheapbytes mess-up debian [FW: Debian 2.0 CD's]

> On Tue, 1 Sep 1998, Rainer Dorsch wrote:
>

> > I am wondering, which access method you use. I am not very happy with their
>
> I use the CD method, and it works just fine. The other dselect methods
> should work just as well
>
> > CDs too. I can use it only reasonably, if I use mountable and give the
> > explicit paths, just giving the distribution path like in their 1.3.1 CDs does
> > not work any more.
>
> As you probably noticed the 1.3 and 2.0 directory structures are a bit
> different on the ftp sites as well. This is a change that debian made, not
> CheapBytes.

I use the ftp servers at work and they work well for me.

> > Currenly, I think of solving this problem by symbolic links, but if this is
>
> The correct path to give dselect is debian/hamm and you should have no
> problems. Simply enter none for the remaining archives after main.

I used debian path so far. This did not work therefore I switched to
mountable.

IF THIS SOLVES THE PROBLEM, I WILL RECOMMEND IT, BUT WITH THE RESTRICTION,
THAT THE DOCUMENTATION IS WEAK.

Maybe, I should mention that I have the Source, Binary, Extras1 (contrib) and
Extras2 (non-free) CDs. When I enter e.g. Extras1 I have many obsolete
packages, because (I assume) the Packages files of main and non-free are not
present on the Extras1 CD and visa versa.

I do not expect that this works with debian/hamm, and I wanted to address this
with some kind of link archive on my hard disk.

I will try your suggestion and let you know, if it solves all problems.

> CheapBytes distributes a perfectly good CD that thousands of users have
> been quite happy with. I see no profit to you or the Debian community with
> spreading such fud.

Well, I do not want to spread a bad word about CheapBytes, but I noticed, that
you cannot expect that if you have already a running Debian 2.0 system, just
inserting the CDs reading the README.1ST is enough to install other packages.
I am sure, that with the data on the CDs, I am able after investing an hour to
hack something together, that is useful for me. But people should know that
the CheapBytes CDROM pack is not suitable at all for new Linux (maybe even new
Debian) users, otherwise they will just turn away again from Linux, because
they end in a mess.

I ordered altogether 7 CD sets for colleagues and they face similar problems!
So it is not that I missed accidentally a small detail. And I am not a
completely unexperienced user (Linux since kernel 1.0.9, Debian since 1.2.x).

Best regards,

--
Rainer Dorsch
Abt. Rechnerarchitektur  e-mail:rainer.dorsch@informatik.uni-stuttgart.de