Re: gnustep &c...

At 09:59 -0700 1998-09-02, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>Hi,
>>>"Joel" == Joel Klecker <jk@espy.org> writes:
> Joel> I personally don't see why we can't use /opt for large
> Joel> subsystems such as GNUstep,
>
>	Because /opt is reserveed for *add-on* application softwware.

It could be argued that apart from the base system, *everything* in Debian
is "add-on".

> Joel> /usr/lib/GNUstep is wrong,
>
>	Umm, why? We may need to move the config files out (as we
> would for /opt, according to the FHS [/etc/opt]), and move the bin
> files out (leaving behind symlinks). This takes some work, initially,
> to package.
>
>	But why is it wrong?

4.5  /usr/lib : Libraries for programming and packages

/usr/lib includes object files, libraries, and internal binaries that
are not intended to be executed directly by users or shell scripts.

Applications may use a single subdirectory under /usr/lib.  If an
application uses a subdirectory, all architecture-dependent data
exclusively used by the application should be placed within that
subdirectory.  For example, the perl5 subdirectory for Perl 5 modules
and libraries.

Miscellaneous architecture-independent application-specific static files
and subdirectories should be placed in /usr/share.

Some executable commands such as makewhatis and sendmail have also been
traditionally placed in /usr/lib.  makewhatis is an internal binary and
should be placed in a binary directory; users access only catman.  Newer
sendmail binaries are now placed by default in /usr/sbin; a symbolic
link should remain from /usr/lib.  Additionally, systems using Smail
should place Smail in /usr/sbin/smail, and /usr/sbin/sendmail should be
a symbolic link to it.

A symbolic link /usr/lib/X11 pointing to the lib/X11 directory of the
default X distribution is required if X is installed.

Note: No host-specific data for the X Window System should be stored in
/usr/lib/X11.  Host-specific configuration files such as Xconfig or
XF86Config should be stored in /etc/X11.  This should include
configuration data such as system.twmrc even if it is only made a
symbolic link to a more global configuration file (probably in
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11).

> Joel> /usr/GNUstep is wrong, /opt/GNUstep is really the only place
> Joel> GNUstep can be put both without stepping on the OPENstep
> Joel> standards, the FHS, or both.
>
>	Sorry, the latter breaks the FHS.

I disagree.
--