Re: KDE in Debian: suggestion for resolution

On Wed, Sep 09, 1998 at 03:12:12PM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>  Joseph> at least I'm doing SOMETHING instead of just whining that we
>  Joseph> should yank the whole thing from Debian.
>
> 	I think this is a mischaracterization. Yanking KDE is doing
>  something as well, and (IMHO) is the right thing to do.

I would tend to agree, however I wanted to leave my morals out of it for the
moment.

While just pulling KDE would be doing something, it wouldn't really fix the
underlying problem of why we pulled KDE.  My suggestions might, if the Troll
and KDE people are willing.  Otherwise, pulling KDE is all we could do and I
doubt they'd lose sleep over it.

>  Joseph> As it stands now, I think probably it should be pulled from
>  Joseph> contrib just to cover our proverbial asses so to speak.
>
> 	And I say aynking KDE should be done on moral grounds, not
>  just covering our bases; however, I'll take any excuse to do what I
>  think is the right thing to do.

And this is why I left them out.  To one who doesn't share these morals, it
looks like the whole list of good reasons to do something about KDE looks
like excuses.

Being a user, I want results.  Being a developer, I want the right thing
done.  Being myself, I can't see how this thread prior to my message would
actually have done anything constructive other than possibly removing KDE
from contrib (and non-free for that matter)  KDE would still be broken.
People would remain uneducated and use it anyway because it works for them
and they could care less about licenses.  Pro-M$ rags would still be able to
claim there is massive infighting amonth the KDE people and the Gnome people
over what is legally and morally acceptable, and things would continue as
they are now.

We can do better than that.  We are DEBIAN!  We don't leave problems
unanswered just because the easy way is to walk away from them do we?