Re: Ratifying the constitution

On Thu, 10 Sep 1998, Santiago Vila wrote:

> On Thu, 10 Sep 1998, Dale Scheetz wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 10 Sep 1998, Santiago Vila wrote:
> >
> > > Would be possible to "test" the constitution before approving it?
> > > [ Something like the vote on Mexican food or steak ].
> >
> > What kind of vote do you see as a "test"?
>
> None. The "testing" would be something like "we are going to act as if the
> constitution were really approved", but before approving it, and only for
> a limited time (one week, two weeks).

Some major problems I see is that a) it will likely take more than two
weeks to set up the mechanisms of the constitution (the Tech Committee,
etc), b) the mechanisms themselves take a long time to work (minimum
discussion periods, minimum voting periods, etc), and c) with luck, the
full provisions of the constitution won't be used very often anyway.  So
doing a trial run of a couple of weeks won't really tell us much.

> There may be unexpected problems, or wanted features, that we could be
> missing because they are not self-evident just by reading the
> constitution.

I thought the ratification of the consititution itself was supposed to be
a trial run.