Re: dinstall: Expert Mode for mount

On Tue, Sep 22, 1998 at 11:33:58AM +0200, Jens Ritter wrote:
[...]
> * Questions:
>
> Is there a way to trick dinstall into installing without explicitly
> mounting an ext2 partition (I am not allowed to use fips or partition
> magic)?

Currently not.

> Otherwise I would like to have an expert mode button in the "can't find
> previously mounted ext2 partition", where you could mount "/" and other
> partitions by "hand".
>
> What do you think about it?

That "expert mode" has been suggested before, and I plan to implement it
soon (but don't hold your breath).

> * Why?
>
> I want to have a Linux system on my girlfriends system but I don´t want to
> change the partition layout.
>
> Maybe it is possible to add a "trial" install of Debian (without
> partitioning) to dinstall later on --- even better as a system run from
> CD. The only thing you would need is space on your harddisk.

I've been thinking about using a loop-mounted rootfs for Debian
boot-floppies system. Installation on a loop-mounted filesystem would be
a nice option too, and we talked about it at the Debian-Hurd list a few
months ago. Is another item in the (already crowded) boot-floppies TODO
list.

--
Enrique Zanardi					   ezanardi@ull.es