Re: POP3 daemons in Debian

Joseph Carter <knghtbrd@debian.org> writes:

> This actually quite annoys me.  APOP is essentially secure passwd vs POP3
> which is not.  I hope nobody else is ... for lack of a better pay to put it,
> foolish enough to use POP3 over open Internet.  Maybe just to your ISP
> behind their router might be acceptable unless you're paranoid, but if your
> ISP is like mine and your dialup is through uu.net or something, plaintext
> passwds to check mail can be VERY easily exploited.

However, because the APOP authentication is basically
md5('password'+random_string()), the server needs your password as
cleartext.  Unix passwords are encrypted such that the /etc/shadow
file doesn't give you direct access to all the accounts.

If anyone hacks the POP3 server, they have your APOP password
immediately.

        "So, do you steal weapons from the Army often?"
        "Well, we don't get cable, so we have to make our own fun."