Re: Policy for /usr/doc/<pkg-name>-doc

On Fri, Nov 06, 1998 at 05:02:34PM +0000, Manoj Srivastava wrote:

> 	What about a mixed solution: the documentation is always in
>  /usr/doc/<package>, but /usr/doc/<package>-doc exists and contains
>  the copyright, the changelog, and other adminstrivia required by
>  policy.

Not a bad solution, but still the location of the docs won't be 100% obvious
-- at first glance, I think I would expect /usr/doc/apache-doc to contain
more docs than /usr/doc/apache.  (Then again, that's just me.)

I don't know if this is a good idea, but how about
/usr/doc/apache/changelog-doc.gz, /usr/doc/apache/copyright.doc, and so on?
Hmm.

Remember that most of the time, authors don't explicitly state a separate
copyright for the documentation.  Maybe that's a bug, but anyway package
maintainers seem to just duplicate the copyright file between the binary and
-doc packages.

Come to think of it, if the binary and -doc copyright files are different,
and the documentation ends up in /usr/doc/package (not package-doc), then
how do we know which copyright applies to which files?

Oh boy, this just gets more confusing as I think about it.  Perhaps I'll
just let someone else decide as usual :)

Have fun,

Avery