Re: PGP vs. GnuPG again... sorry

In article <[🔎] 814390.3119430246@jmlb2.trin.cam.ac.uk>, "Jules Bean" <jules@jellybean.co.uk> writes:
> The point is that GPG is 'broken' w.r.t to exit codes.  However,
> Debian would like to transition to GPG a.s.a.p. since PGP is
> painfully non-free.

> Therefore, the suggestion was to use the words in the output rather
> than the exit code as a work-around until the GPG team fix the exit
> codes.

It seems like a better idea to fix GPG exit codes, doesn't it?  I
don't know if they means more work or not, but I think it's certainly
less work in the long run.  Parsing messages emitted from a program is
never a good idea, unless you're doing ultra quick-n-dirty thing, and
I don't think 'dinstall' qualifies.  If we start parsing messages
emitted by GPG rather than relying on non-zero exit codes, we have to
change dinstall every time a word changes in the error messages.  And
we'd have to ensure we're dealing with locales properly too...