Re: binaries compiled on slink don't run anywhere else

Dale Scheetz <dwarf@polaris.net> wrote:
> Binary packages compiled on Hamm don't run on Bo, nor do all Bo packages
> run on Rex. When you build packages, you often have to make sure that the
> libraries you build with are the same as the ones on the target machine.
>
> 2.0.7u declares its lack of backward compatibility with shlibdeps, and by
> conflicting with early sysklogd versions.

Er.. if I recall correctly, rex was a.out (libc4), bo was H.J.Lu's elf
(libc5) and hamm was glibc (libc6).  Also, we did retain the ability
to compile binaries for a previous version of the libraries.  Hamm did
include a libc5 development system, for example.

This probably deserves a little more thought..

--
Raul