Re: Unmet dependencies in slink

On Sat, Nov 14, 1998 at 11:09:31PM -0800, Guy Maor wrote:
> The problem is that many maintainers use recommend when they
> shouldn't.  "The Recommends field should list packages that would be
> found together with this one in all but unusual installations."  I
> expect that most recommendations should probably be suggestions.

If developers are erroneously using Recommends: like this, then I think that
we need something between Recommends: and Suggests: - something that means
what many are using Recommends: for now.

Then the items would be something like: (example situation)
Depends: needs these things to work (properly) at all.
Recommends: you need this for it to be much use, or have it provided over
        the network
Suggests: a lot of the extension scripts use this package
Considers: this is another html to postscript conversion tool

(remember, those are just examples!)

--
Robert Donn
(annoyed that this post came out lamer than the idea from which