Re: Are DFSG free package in non-us part of Debian?

On Sun, Nov 15, 1998 at 09:09:49PM +0100, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:

> This is utterly rubbish. In the sense of your words, nothing is freely
> distributable. Wanna a proof? Nobody is allowed to go under my table (not
> even me). So you can't place a Debian distribution under my table.

That is the worst example i have ever heard and has no bearing on the
topic. There is getting too many outlandish and completely absurd
rebuttles to this thread.

Whatever becomes of this (if anything), I will strongly be against
import/export restricted packages being put into the main distribution
without some way of it being extractable for meeting the import/export
restrictions.

It's sad that we can not use this software freely, but that's the fact as
of now, so we have to live with it. Those of you who live in countries
that don't have this problem, feel lucky, we in the US have to deal with
it (I personally as a government system admin who is forced to use telnet
and send my password in the clear or use rhosts, which i refuse to do).
All of you can say, "why should I care what the US's laws are?", what will
you say the day when some one says they don't care about your contries
laws on a decision which may hender your use of debian?. Unless some one
can come up with decent alternative that suits all parties, i say leave it
alone.

UnixGroup Admin - Jordan Systems Inc.                 bcollins@debian.org