libc resolver problem solved (critical bug)

Hello!

I just got an idea from a recent thread on debian-devel... libc 2.0.7u was
compiled with egcs, so that might have caused the problems in the resolver
(see critical bug #27334). And it proved to be correct. I just compiled
2.0.7u-5 with gcc on hamm, and it works nicely. The test environment:
a list server with 35k deliveries a day. I installed the official
2.0.7u-5, and got 50 "host not found" messages from sendmail in a minute.
After that I installed the version compiled with gcc... it works
flawlessly for 20 minutes now. So please recompile 2.0.7u with gcc
(current 2.0.7u-5: Compiled by GNU CC version egcs-2.90.27 980315
(egcs-1.0.2 release).)
Btw we'll have a problem here (although Richard just told me the
__register_frame_info problem was already solved, i don't really know
about it, I didn't follow the thread)... so some binaries compiled against
libc compiled with egcs will need __register_frame_info and libc compiled
with gcc doesnt have it. So if we just recompile libc with gcc we'll get
lots of binaries not starting... if I'm mistaken please correct me :)

Thanks,

Greg

Ps. this is very serious, egcs miscompiles libc!!!!!!!!!!!

--
Madarasz Gergely           gorgo@caesar.elte.hu         gorgo@linux.rulez.org
                    HuLUG: http://mlf.linux.rulez.org/