Re: Are DFSG free package in non-us part of Debian?

Marcus Brinkmann writes:
> Why? What is the technical reason for that?

To avoid creating broken archives.  I don't see that it is desireable for
Debian peers to contain packages that can only legally be installed with
--ignore-depends.  If the software can be made useful without the
dependency than a seperate crippled package should be released for use in
countries where the dependeccies cannot be fulfilled.

> If it is confusing for the user, we should fix our installation software
> to make it obvious what happens.

Yes.  Apt should be able to get packages from multiple sources.  Then it
can offer to get stuff not in the users primary source due to restrictions
from a remote one (warning him about the restrictions, of course).  CD's
could contain packages that depend on stuff missing due to restrictions in
a special directory.  A CD doesn't have to be an exact copy of a Debian
peer.
--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org (John Hasler)