Re: Status of the LPR package

Sergey V Kovalyov wrote:
> > No, this is the workaround for lpr. lprng will apply filters for
> > remote printers. AFAIR.
> >
> Nope, I've tried, it does not. You still need a workaround called "bounce
> queue". I am saying that yes, you can relatively easyly make it work with
> either lpr or lprng, but it looks ugly: you need two queus per printer.
> But it does not have to look ugly - just lpr should do exactly what i tell
> it to: run the filter.

If you put the entry

	:lpr_bounce

into your /etc/printcap while using LPRng, it'll do local-side filtering
before shipping the output off to a remote printer.  It's how I have at
least one box hooked up happily to an HP Jetdirect using gs
(automatically, prior to remote queuing) to convert from PostScript.  If
it doesn't work that way then ... well, either I'm having a massive
hallucination or it's just my lucky month. :-) (Here's hoping it's
really working.)

--
Andy MacKay <mackay@rice.edu>