Re: intent to package: ccf-- desktop shared over a network

John Lapeyre <lapeyre@physics.arizona.edu> writes:

> 	I need to separate it into a free and non-free part. One
> module needs jdk to build.  I am not sure how to fix this.  In
> geomview, I use a single source to build two binary packages. But
> James "Watchdog" Troup points out that this violates policy.  I guess
> I can split the original into two sources.

Here's what I'd do:

Have a default debian/rules that only builds the parts for "main".
This will satisfy people like James who want to facilitate
auto-compilation and things like that.

If somebody wants to build the parts for "contrib" (ie. not James),
then they can run a script which will generate a different
debian/rules with the appropriate rules.

I've done something like that in the Gnome packages - the real
packaging is in the debian/rules.in file.  When I run the
"debconfigure" script in the debian/ directory, it will do macro
substitutions on the debian/rules.in file to generate the debian/rules
file.

Cheers,

 - Jim