Re: EURO patch

On: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 20:26:54 +0000 Tom Lees writes:

> On Wed, Nov 25, 1998 at 12:45:03PM +0100, Richard Braakman wrote:
>> Enrique Zanardi wrote:
>> > For those of you not aware of european news, the countries that
>> > have joined the European Union are moving towards a common
>> > currency, called the "euro". For Linux that means we have to
>> > include a new symbol in our charsets, and map it to some key
>> > (Meta-e, IIRC) in our keymaps. And we must do it soon, as the
>> > transition from the old to the new currency is starting next
>> > January, and will be finished in two years.
>>
>> Argl.  Meta-e is a-ring, a common Swedish letter.  Couldn't they
>> have picked something more obscure?  Replacing the pound symbol
>> would have been good; the pound will be replaced anyway.  *duck*
>
> So will the euro... eventually, IMHO. Either it will fail, or global
> currency unification will eventually happen, at which point the name
> "Euro" will sound pitifully inappropriate for such a currency,
> wheras dollar, pound, etc. are geographically neutral names. The
> point is, even if it is (which I doubt it will be in the near
> future), that doesn't mean the symbol should be made
> inaccessible. Especially since many keyboards will still have the
> pound symbol on that key.

There is a new encoding iso8859-15 (aka latin0) which replaces the
currency symbol ¤ by the Euro symbol.[1]  It can be created by the (new)
compose sequence - e or by pressing AltGr-e (AltGr is the right Alt
key which access the third levels on the keyboard, e.g., on german
keyboards Shift-8 ist ( and Alt-Gr-8 is [ ).

I just installed the Euro patch in both console and X11, in the
console it works well (as there is just a single font used by all
application), in X11 I miss the correct encoding for all but 3 fonts
(which are included in the patch).

	Torsten

BTW: Shift-3 on german keyboards yields a § (section/paragraph sign),
     it seems to be typical german to have this symbol there ;-)

Footnotes:
[1] As this standard enchanged/replaces iso8859-1 at least in the
european countries, are there any plans for Debian to adopt it?